Circulation pumps also called “Hush Pumps”, and “Silent Flow” pumps are sold as an advantage and often as an upgrade on Hot Tubs.
The Pitch is that they are small efficient pumps that clean your water 24 hrs. a day and are quiet and efficient to run.
It’s usually about a $500 upgrade and in my opinion, they are not as good a the alternative which is a high flow circ system.
- Although they use a small amount of power they run 24hrs a day whereas the high flow pump only has to run about 4 hrs a day to clean the same amount of water both systems use similar amount a power per day.
- They wear out more quickly because they run all the time.
- The tiny energy savings against the increased cost of replacement parts make them more expensive over the long run.
- They can only filter so much water a day. if you have a heavy bather load or a party or busy weekend of hot tubbing it can take them a while to recover whereas with a high flow system you can change how many hours the pump runs! So after a party, you can throw it on 24 hr mode (or any other amount) and it will filter up to 6 times more water than a circ pump can over the 24hr period.
- Circ pumps are also low flow and this means you need to be very regimented with filter cleaning, if the filter gets too dirty they go into flow error easily, the hi flow systems don’t unless you are truly negligent.
- The new anti vibration mounting systems make the good hi flow 2-speed pumps almost as quiet as the Hush pumps, there is very little difference.
I’m not a fan of these systems I think they are sold to add margin into a deal or added value perception. It’s all marketing spin.